The real question: Is marching band a sport?

Melodic mellos// Rehearsing marching fundamentals, junior Blake Taber adjusts his mellophone horn angle to the sky while playing the opener for the 2017-2018 marching show “Through the Night”. Photo by Liz Harkins

photo credit: Liz Harkins

photo credit: Liz Harkins

Liz Harkins, Staff Reporter

Sweat pouring down their faces, the muscles in their legs aching, their lungs are on fire and the sun in agonizing: Sound’s like a sport, doesn’t it? Nope. It’s marching band.

Society believes that marching band is physically incapable of being a sport, however students who march do more physical activity than you would think. On average, a high school marching show lasts 8-10 minutes. In those eight-10 minutes, musicians march 12 plus miles at speeds up to 180 beats per minute while maintaining perfect horn angles, technique and blowing air through their instruments weighing up to 40 pounds. Not to mention all the music put on the field must be memorized to the point.

When you see Hollywood’s interpretation of a marching band, you are watching the complete opposite of the actual activity that takes place in a marching show. Normally the depiction will include a group of 15-30 people marching with knees bending 90 degrees every step, playing their trumpets with bulbous cheeks full of air. The actual depiction of a high school marching band is around 150-200 musicians (or 500 if you’re Allen High School) using instruments varying from a clarinet to a mellophone while maintaining a straight-leg technique.

Not acknowledging marching band as a sport is offensive to not only the musicians, but the art. The majority of non-band members underestimate marching band, for they assume the activity is merely something they could do in their sleep; they assume that marching across a 100 foot field in 24 counts is nothing but a mere ‘walk in the park.’ 2017 Troopers Drum and Bugle Corps alumni McKinley Bennett thinks otherwise. “A lot of people have asked me how much it takes to be in drum corps, and I tell them all the same answer: stamina. We rehearse (our show) 90 percent  of the time, the other 10 percent being socializing time. During then, we work constantly and put about 30 sets on the field each day,” Bennett said.

Some say marching band is ‘irrelevant’ and ‘unentertaining’ at a football game though it may be even more entertaining that the game itself! For example, say the score is 34-35; there’s only 10 seconds left on the clock for all star quarterback John Doe to kick the field goal. You feel the drumline vibrating beneath your feet and hear music building up to your left. And… it’s good! The band plays out the fight song as loud as possible and light the crowd on fire. Believe me now?

In summation there is no real difference between your normal ‘ol football team and a marching band. Well there are the uniforms, the lack of balls and the way the sport works. Okay, so there is a difference, but in their work ethic, motivation or physical exertion? No. Though very different, both football and marching band work towards the same goal: starting and finishing strong. The fact that football and marching band work distinctly unalike is not a legitimate reason of calling either not a sport. So, the next time someone asks your opinion on the matter, I advise you pull out your pocket Webster’s dictionary and leave them with the definition of sport. Trust me, they’ll stare at you and try to come up with a comeback to eventually end up with nothing.

Is marching band a sport?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Liz Harkins, Staff Reporter

For all the people out there who don’t know me, my name’s Liz. I’m a clarinet-playing, AP-stressing and Spider-Man (and sometimes Flash) obsessing teenager who just so happens to say “my pleasure” an awful lot. My family is my everything, and my older sister is my best friend that I would, honestly, take a bullet for. I’m enamored with journalism and hope to be the new Peter Parker or Iris West-Allen of print journalism in New York City sometime in my future, once I’m older and wiser. I have been working for Chick-fil-a for the past six months, absolutely loving every second there. No longer does my bank account send me low balance alerts everyday, instead, they mistake my extravagant purchases for fraud. I love having a positive attitude and hate to see people down. Clarinet is my passion and I never hesitate to participate in any band or leadership affiliated activity. I hope you’ve had an amazing day and if you’re so bugged about me saying “my pleasure,” don’t thank me.

1 Comment

One Response to “The real question: Is marching band a sport?”

1. Haley Ford on March 22nd, 2018 11:54 am

Marching band is really cool and I agree totally a sport. Especially cause I play a 20 pound instrument that looks like a trumpet. Thanks for this is appreciate it, super cool story.

• The real question: Is marching band a sport?

Editorials

Gender neutral homecoming means equality for all students

Editorials

The experience

• Editorials

Let’s mullet over

Editorials

We are the UNITED States of America

Editorials

Popping pills kills academic skills

Editorials

It’s Black-ish History Month

Editorials

Developers: This is how you make a game

Editorials

No vroom on the road

Editorials

Six weeks mayhem

Editorials

The day I saw the President