Elders Helpers makes difference

The graphic for Howard’s organization is his great grandmother’s and great grandfather’s hands.

To some, the acronym carries no meaning, but to those who go through the course, it carries all the work that went along with it.

The Texas Performance Study Progect Independent Study program is a rigorous self-motivated course in which a student chooses an area of interest and creates a final product to be presented at the end of the year.

Senior Cody Howard used his TPSP time to start a nonprofit organization benefitting the elderly.

“I was struggling to decide what to do for my project,” Howard said. “My great grandpa went to the nursing home. When I saw him not involved, I felt a tug to help.”

Elders Helpers is a nonprofit organization that goes and helps the elderly at nursing homes. The program puts on parties and plans to teach the elderly how to use technology to keep in contact with family.

Howard had to jump through many legal hoops, such as contacting the state to gain non-profit status, to finally get his organization up and running.

“I received a letter from the Secretary of State office. Elders Helpers is official,” Howard said.

Introducing Howard for the evening was Advisor Megan Maxwell.

“Cody Howard is the true definition of a servant leader,” Maxwell said.

Howard’s organization has a Facebook and a website: eldershelpers.webs.com and is open to volunteers, donations and ideas for upcoming events. The inaugural event April 6 was a success.

Elders Helpers is sponsored by Texas State Optical and will be featured in the next issue of the Wylie Connection.

Other projects included “Culture Shock: Making a World of Difference” by Senior Nikki Culver, “Creating a Fashion Lookbook” by Junior Paris Ruffin, “Modern Manipulation: A Woman’s Guide to Empowerment Through Physical Appearance” by Senior Gwen Berumen, “Entreating the Fight Against Cancer: Coordinating Music and Games at Relay for Life” by Senior Cassi Springfield, “Songwriting: Aerie Stars” by Junior Marcus Robinson, “A Study in Film Production Techniques” by Senior Khris Riddall and “Hope for Community, Hope for the Heart: Producing a Fundraising and Promotional Gala” by Senior Alexa Towsend.

Howard’s project as a whole ended up getting a four out of five rating from the judges.

“[My project] has had its ups and downs and near stops. I can do anything I can set my mind to,” Howard said.