The mission of the Wylie East High School news site is to inform, educate and entertain readers. Established Jan. 13, 2011. Principal: Mrs. Tiffany Doolan; Adviser: Ms. Kimberly Creel

Oh s#%@!

Oh s#%@!

The headline of this article is really oh snap. Those who travel the school halls probably thought it was something else. Hearing vulgar language is common in the halls of this school.

“If only people really understood what they are saying,” sophomore Marlie Arnell said, “they don’t understand how offensive it is.”

In fact, vulgar language can mean a citation, or ticket, if it offends a student or staffulty member. A citation for language can vary with the offense, but it can cost up to $250.

Oddly enough, it doesn’t seem to be a huge concern among the student body.

“It doesn’t really bug me unless they’re cussing at me or they’re doing it too much,” sophomore Quan Jones said.

Most suggestions to fix foul language are sarcastic or completely unhelpful.

“I think teachers should be allowed to have spray bottles so they can spray students when they hear it,” sophomore Aubree’ Keller said.

But it’s undeniable that students hear foul language everyday at school.

“I hear it as if it is the words ‘and’ or ‘the’,” Arnell said.

There are of course, arguments that students should be allowed to exercise the first amendment rights and curse whenever they want.

“Kids should have freedom of speech but they shouldn’t cuss at teachers,” sophomore Devin Cox said.

World Geography teacher Amanda Lannan tried to discourage foul language last year by having a “cursing jar” that students had to pay every time they cursed. Unfortunately she discontinued this tradition because too many students paid in advance.

Apparently, despite rumors of language changing with the times, this kind of language is expected for normal high schools of any age.

“Language has always been there,” Student Resource Officer Varner said, “The big difference I see is the way girls use it these days.”

Some may not find language offensive, there are those who do.

“I feel sorry they can’t find a better word,” Arnell said.

Be careful to avoid a citation if cursing is something that is unavoidable for students. Because even though Officer Varner may not hand out many citations, he does give one out if someone near the offender is offended.

“If you’re going to use foul language, be aware of who’s around and make sure it’s not offending anyone,” Varner said.

View Comments (2)
Caitlyn Bogart
Caitlyn Bogart, Co-Editor In Chief
Good day, evening, afternoon or whatever time of day it happens to be while you read this, I hope you’re having a great time. I am a senior and Editor in Chief. I look forward to making our team as strong and seamless as possible. I honestly have no idea how to write this. You would think I would be better considering I’ve done this for three years running, but I’m a news writer. I am much better at writing about others. Writing is a huge part of my life. I plan on majoring in Business Marketing and English with a creative writing minor because I also write fiction books, one of which will be published this year for my Texas Performance Study Program (TPSP) project, so watch out! I live inside my head a lot and enjoy long philosophical conversations. I kind of feel like I just wrote an ad for a dating site. Didn’t mean to, but it happened.

Comments (2)

All Blue Print Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• *

******Mar 2, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I totally agree!!! I know I tend to tolerate it around my friends because it has become the norm I really try to at least discourage it when they are in uniform for ROTC but it really is offensive. and I love the spray bottle Idea!!!!!!

Reply
  • M

mrs kennedyFeb 23, 2011 at 5:34 pm

WOW! $250 fine!? interesting….. i sit at lunch often with my child and their friends and you would think I wasn’t even there. They don’t even stop for an adult parent at the table. Yes, you may know who you are and I still love you all but yes, it is amazingly offensive to hear as it makes me sad to think that you all have to use that language to feel better about yourselves. I think you’re cool without saying it. Give it a try! 😉

Reply