On the field

Luke Pendley

More stories from Luke Pendley

Coming full circle
May 23, 2018

New season; new coach

Athletic+Director+Mike+Dormady+takes+over+
Back to Article
Back to Article

On the field

Athletic Director Mike Dormady takes over

photo credit: Luke Pendley

photo credit: Luke Pendley

photo credit: Luke Pendley

In his 25th year of coaching, Mike Dormady began his time as head coach and athletic director here. Coming from a 4A school, Boerne High School, Dormady was attracted to the academic background and achievements of Wylie ISD. He had his family in mind whenever he was looking into filling this position. With two twin daughters, Breck and McKenna, in seventh grade at Burnett, the academics were too good to pass up on. Dormady also has two sons in college, Quintin who was the QB for the University of Tennessee and Marcus who is a freshman at Northwest Vista.

“I put my family first and the academic background and record is what truly brought me here,” Dormady said.

My big goal here is to develop the young players, putting people in the right spots. Not necessarily putting the best players in the game, but utilizing strengths and minimizing their weaknesses. It’s like putting together a puzzle that’s been all mixed around.”

— Mike Dormady, athletic director

Through 25 years of coaching, Dormady has coached at a small college up north, a high school in Missouri and then came to Texas in 2006, where he has coached at Coppell, Colleyville Heritage, Prestonwood Christian and Boerne before coming here.

“My big goal here is to develop the young players, putting people in the right spots,” Dormady said. “Not necessarily putting the best players in the game, but utilizing strengths and minimizing their weaknesses. It’s like putting together a puzzle that’s been all mixed around.”

Dormady also has a goal of developing strengths not only on the field, but as a person. He believes that he is making better young athletes ready for the world through character development and handling disappointment through wins and losses.

“The big question is where are they going to be 10 years from now?” Dormady said. “It’s a matter of the impact we make on their life, not just how they play on the field.”

The 2018-2019 season has already begun for players with spring ball being played and is the reason Dormady stepped in as semester switched over.

This upcoming season also happened to fall during a UIL redistrict year, meaning opponents are all switched up. The district matches change to some familiar faces, but some new ones as well. McKinney North, Mesquite Poteet, Sherman, Texarkana Texas, Tyler and West Mesquite are the teams we will play in football for the next two seasons.

“My goal is to create an excitement within the rivalries, we lose Highland Park, but will play Texas High who gave them a run at the end of last season,” Dormady said. “We will have to put a premium on fundamentals and coach to our personalities to win games next season. There won’t be an easy week.”

Luke Pendley, Sports Editor

Luke’s the name, sports is my game. You can put me with anyone and anywhere as long as a sports topic comes up, I’m there for hours. Anywhere from...

1 Comment

One Response to “On the field”

1. Triniti McBride on October 12th, 2018 9:14 am

I love this story! I never knew so much about Coach Dormady. Coming from a 4A school I wouldn’t think would be easy to come from; especially the competition.

• On the field

Girls

Volleyball is playoff-bound once again

• On the field

Sports

‘Tee’riffic hole in one

• On the field

Sports

99.5 the Wolf picks Raider football

• On the field

Sports

Coming full circle

• On the field

Sports

6 things to do during rain delay

• On the field

Sports

Sapphires take the floor

• On the field

Sports

2,952 athletes compete in Pyeongchang Winter Olympics

• On the field

Sports

Basketball girls win district two years in a row

• On the field

Sports

Best Friends sign to same college

• On the field

Sports

#NotmySuperBowl

On the field