To go or not to go

Going to prom is beneficial

Proms are an iconic, integral part of the high school experience. They come complete with stretch limos, fancy ballrooms, live bands, DJs, kings and queens and most importantly, dresses worthy of movie stars. A high school prom is more than just a dance. For some teenagers and their parents senior prom is a watershed event, a coming of age ceremony that separates the end of high school from whatever more worldly experience comes next.

Students should attend prom whenever there is an opportunity, but they should attend their graduating class’ prom regardless. Most parents will say that their senior prom was the most memorable out of their senior year, because of the simple fact of photographic evidence, a dress that could make a rainy day go away, and a night worth remembering. For parents, the occasion can have a “turning out” significance, a chance to see their son or daughter formally attired and looking maximally grown up, a testimony to the successful child raising they have accomplished. In essence, there is no reason to deny oneself the experience of senior prom or prom in general.

Prom continues to be an elaborately important event in the social climate of high schools. Popular movies and novels attest to the importance of prom themes, prom dates and prom queens. Still, prom has become more liberal about its requirements for participants and activities. It is no longer quite as important to have a date or to be asked by the perfect guy. More and more girls are choosing their own dates for the prom and more and more guys are going “stag” or with a group of friends. Prom is often still the main social event of the high school season, but it is also a time for fun and the creation of memories for everyone to enjoy.

On the other hand, some people don’t attend prom because of the cost, but others may not attend because of the stress it entails. According to Psychology Today, there are three phases to prom related stress. There is the selection/rejection phase leading up to prom when people are trying to get a date, and the process of asking or waiting to be asked can be stressful. There’s the preparation/planning phase where people are trying to look their best and arrange the best, and the frustrations with getting all this accomplished can be stressful. There’s also the experience/enjoyment phase, meaning the need to act as if having a good time, all the time, which can be stressful.

Whenever the opportunity presents itself, go for it. As in, GO TO PROM!

In both parents and adolescence there’s a desire to mark the occasion, to make it special, to make it memorable with the 4 grown up D’s – dating, dressing up, dining, dancing at a fancy, expensive, exciting celebration that lasts far into the night.