Sweet nothings

Valentine gifts dos-and-don’ts

Sweet treats or bitter eats \\ Analyzing the chocolates, sophomore Maddie Smith judges Valentines gifts. The box of gooey sweets earned a four-out-of-five for variety and it’s modest price.

photo credit: Valerie Msafiri

photo credit: Valerie Msafiri

Maddie Smith, Sports Editor & Webmaster

Valentine’s Day can be a special time but it can also be the most agonizing. Whether you have a special someone or if you’re left crying over a bowl of ice cream while watching sappy movies, everyone wants gifts-even better if it’s candy. The predicament comes to deciding what to buy. My go-to is chocolate, but whatever makes your taste buds sing. With the help of a bouquet of fake red roses (real ones don’t last), I bring you the dos-and-don’ts of Valentine’s.

When thinking of Valentine’s Day, I most immediately think of a box of chocolate. You can go extravagant and get an expensive 50 piece set or go cheap and get a two dollar chocolate box at your local drugstore. This ranks a four-out-of-five on a scale of red roses.

The little box of Sweethearts just don’t cut it. Maybe it did when you were in first-grade but to be frank, I didn’t even like them then. Sure the little conversations they imprint on them are cute to some and they would make a great starting point for a cheesy romance woo, but they aren’t meant to be eaten. Speaking of inedible gifts, the candy bracelets that leave your wrists soggy are also not meant to be a meaningful gift.  Despite their cheap price of about $0.90, the colorful hearts and candy bracelets only get one-half of a white rose.

Another type of (in)edible gifts would be your significant other’s favorite candy. As long as you correctly recall their favorite candy, no one can go wrong, and unless you their preference is super expensive and covered in gold, it can be pretty affordable too. From sour to sweet, bitter or rich, their chosen candy is sure to be a hit for anyone, therefore getting a 4.5 red roses.

Recently, sites and companies have made personalized M&Ms available. Though they are available year round, they can make a special present. With the ability to inscript anything on the sweet treat, the small chocolate can be elevated from a ‘ooo candy’ reaction to a ‘aww that’s so thoughtful’ one.  A customized color and amiable script can make someone’s day, also resulting in a four-out-of-five rating.

Considering the plethora of gifts to be given, one that comes from the heart can mean more than anything. The after Valentine’s sales on candy has us cleaning out the shelves and our banking account, so why not indulge every once in awhile?

About the Contributors
Maddie Smith, Sports Editor & Webmaster

[Insert cute Tumblr quote here]. My name is Maddie Smith and my life goal is to be the sassiest person alive. My sass is expressed in my writing, (terrible) drawing, and current select-favorite TV character (Daenerys Targaryen, Mother of Dragons and Protector of the Realm). I like to think of myself as an individualist but, let’s be real, I hop on bandwagons quite often, I mean just look at the first line.  If I haven’t convinced you that I’m just like you, then let’s just throw in that I’m adopted. My passion is to help people and newspaper seems to be the place to reach the biggest audience. You need help? I’ll help. Someone to listen? I’ll listen. Someone to give you unsolicited advice, then not take it themselves? I got you. I wish you luck in years to come. XOXO, Maddie.

Valerie Msafiri, Editor in Chief

Since my last name is apparently hard to pronounce, you don’t have to read it in your head when you read this beautifully constructed bio. HI 🙂 I’m Valerie Msafiri (mm- sA- fi-ri) or Msafari or Msafire.. you get the idea. That’s probably the most interesting thing about me, but, I bet I can make you laugh at least once in a conversation. No, seriously, DM me on Twitter (@kingg.val).

So according to my mom, “school is my life,” but, while I’m not being a junior at Wylie East High School doing school stuff, like, reading, writing, or studying, you can find me at home…reading, writing, or studying. I’m also a devout music connoisseur, and, any chance I get, I will have headphones in. Besides being Editor in Chief of the newspaper, I’m involved in so many other clubs on campus, but none of them hold true to my heart as this one. Enjoy 🙂