The mission of the Wylie East High School news site is to inform, educate and entertain readers. Established Jan. 13, 2011. Principal: Mrs. Tiffany Doolan; Adviser: Ms. Kimberly Creel

Equality for all

Gay marriage should be legalized

Gay rights for men and women is a big topic and discussion in the news today. Millions of Facebook users changed their profile picture of to a red equal sign to protest the laws against gay marriage. The image, replacing profile pictures on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Pinterest and elsewhere, is a makeover of the advocacy group’s logo, usually a blue background with bright yellow lines.                                                                                                                                     

Men and women should have the right to marry whomever they fall in love with. According to the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life, proponents of gay marriage claim that while religious institutions have the right to refuse to marry gay couples they cannot discriminate gay couples in other mediums. Having gays and lesbians married does not affect heterosexuals at all.

However, many supporters feel that because of religious freedom, clergy members have the right to create their own criteria for marriage ceremonies that are performed in their particular institutions and also have the right to talk about their own marriage beliefs.

People should not care whether or not homosexuals get married, because it is their life and it does not harm anyone.

A solution to this problem could be to just legalize gay marriage overall, this would allow the gay world to achieve what they have been working towards for years.  Allowing them to be married would not affect the heterosexual world.