The mission of the Wylie East High School news site is to inform, educate and entertain readers. Established Jan. 13, 2011. Principal: Mrs. Tiffany Doolan; Adviser: Ms. Kimberly Creel

Breaking News

Let’s create a bookworm

Student’s should read.

English teacher assigns a book to read outside of class and a great moan erupts from the class. Apparently there is a great opposition to reading, some claim it is a waste of time.

Reading can make people understand more than the atmosphere around them.

To borrow an example from a rather intelligent teacher, America is in the midst of a war in the Middle East but how many citizens know anything about the countries we are fighting for other than that a lot of people are dying? How can we ever hope for peace without knowing about what the culture over there is? How can we help the people without understanding where they come from? The quick answer is that we can’t. One way of learning about other cultures is through their literature, it shows the values of the country’s people and what they appreciate in everyday life. So, if for nothing more than creating an international understanding, reading is beneficial.

True, it can take a long time to read a book and sometimes a reader can get so bogged down in the dry spells of a book. Every book has them. It is understandable that it can feel like a waste of time and some books really have no literary merit, but even those can have entertainment value. A lot of the time, people jump to wrong conclusions because they are ill informed. Reading informs people and can save the world a lot of conflict.

Help society in general and pick up a book from time to time. An amazing thing might happen: learning and a new found respect and entertainment in the written word.

People should read more, whether it is a newspaper, book, online study or any kind of viable information. Please expand the world’s ability to understand, America should set the example with its youth.