Students, teachers are Facebook friends

Communication tool should not be banned

Who doesn’t love Facebook?  Teenagers are not the only ones using Facebook.  Not all teachers are going to take advantage of this opportunity of communication.  Some states are beginning to pass laws banning teachers from communicating on Facebook with students.

Students should be able to communicate with teachers over Facebook.  The teachers and students who follow the rules should not be punished because of the ones who do not.

Journalism teacher Casi Thedford is a perfect example of an appropriate Facebook user.  She communicates with her students over Facebook to inform them of events, changes or important things coming up in class.  She uses Facebook for her yearbook and newspaper classes, which constantly have to be up to date on what is going on.  If Blue Print and the Dynasty were not up to date, they would not be award winning, and timely with news.  If announcements are needed to be made to the entire class, she can send a Facebook message to her students.  Facebook is an excellent source to get quotes, and confirm grades as well.   According to sciencedaily.com, researchers have found that teenagers spend about 50 hours a week on the computer.  If this much time is spent on the computer, then the likelihood of students seeing the message before school the next day is pretty high. 

Although most teachers use Facebook for appropriate means when conversing with students, there are those teachers who take advantage of this opportunity.  It is not just teachers who have misused their privileges on Facebook, students do the same thing.  There have been multiple cases of students and teachers having inappropriate relationships, such as sending inappropriate pictures, sexts, and text messages.  Not all teachers would risk their careers and freedom for something like this.

Teachers who have not abused Facebook should not be punished.  Students should report it right away if it happens.  If a teacher tries to communicate inappropriately once, they will do it again.  Students do not need to friend all of their teachers because some teachers do not use Facebook for their classes.  Teachers should not accept friend requests if they do not feel comfortable conversing online.  Students and teachers need to take responsibility in using Facebook appropriately.

Students and teachers should be able to use social media resources for professional communication with each other, it is simply another outlet for communication.  Every teacher should not have the convenience communicating with their students taken away because of the few who use it inappropriately.