The mission of the Wylie East High School news site is to inform, educate and entertain readers. Established Jan. 13, 2011. Principal: Mrs. Tiffany Doolan; Adviser: Ms. Kimberly Creel

Set the example

Upperclassmen need to lead by example

The graduation year of WEHS seniors is here and already the student body is full of self-entitled, self-empowered seniors. “Stupid freshmen” is now a usual phrase to use in the hallways when things get a little tight. The graduating class of 2012 never truly experienced what it felt like to be a small fish in a big pond. They have always been, and always will be, the alpha class, the biggest of the big and the oldest kids in school.

It is not fair for the oldest class to be picking on the youngest.

Imagine walking into a new school with so many new faces and people, some of which are already 18 and driving, a foreign topic. So far ahead and there is no way to ever get to that point in life. It feels like freshmen year is a far as you can get. This is what freshmen are experiencing. A state of awe. Now imagine that one of those older kids, who you automatically respect simply because of their age, starts talking about how stupid and ignorant freshmen are. This automatically sends a message saying: I’m not worth being here. Is that the message “the alpha class” wants to send?

On the other hand, seniors are so much more experienced than the new freshmen. Freshman year is a whole other world. It is so hard to remember how that new feeling is when the school doors are what are seen every day for four years straight. Freshmen may seem immature, straight out of junior high; they aren’t who they are yet. But they are people. Treat them like it. Set the example for future upper classmen. What legacy will the graduation class of 2012 leave?

Remember that coming to high school is terrifying enough without upperclassmen being jerks about the fact you are inexperienced. Understand that freshmen are people with feelings. Treat them with respect like an adult and eventually they will become one.

Freshmen are only just starting out, nervous and trying to fit in. Seniors should meet them with a smile and help them out on their journey. Set the example. It makes a difference.

View Comments (8)
Caitlyn Bogart
Caitlyn Bogart, Co-Editor In Chief
Good day, evening, afternoon or whatever time of day it happens to be while you read this, I hope you’re having a great time. I am a senior and Editor in Chief. I look forward to making our team as strong and seamless as possible. I honestly have no idea how to write this. You would think I would be better considering I’ve done this for three years running, but I’m a news writer. I am much better at writing about others. Writing is a huge part of my life. I plan on majoring in Business Marketing and English with a creative writing minor because I also write fiction books, one of which will be published this year for my Texas Performance Study Program (TPSP) project, so watch out! I live inside my head a lot and enjoy long philosophical conversations. I kind of feel like I just wrote an ad for a dating site. Didn’t mean to, but it happened.

Comments (8)

All Blue Print Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• B

BenjaminOct 9, 2011 at 10:49 pm

A little empathy goes a long way.

Reply
  • C

CaitlynOct 7, 2011 at 12:23 pm

My intention was not to offend only to bring attention to the treatment of the younger classes by the older. I understand that there are many members of the 2012 class who are very kind to the Freshman class. I have personally thanked many of them for their behavior when I see it. However, the few spoil it for the many. I was trying to bring to light how it feels to be a freshman and a good kid who gets pushed down just because they are the little fish in the big pond. You are free to feel differently but I have a lot of Freshmen who have thanked me for the article because they didn’t feel heard. I respect that others may see things differently than I do and I appreciate the feedback because it makes me a better journalist.

Reply
    • T

TiffanyOct 12, 2011 at 10:25 am

It was a great article girl, and the fact that you’re getting feedback for it goes to show just how good a journalist you are as well. Though I must disagree with that “few spoil it for the many”. I hate situations like that. It’s true though, however much I wish it wasn’t.

Reply
      • C

CaitlynOct 13, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Thank you Tiffany. I appreciate that you understand my opinion and views even if you disagree. 🙂

Reply
  • B

BrandonOct 4, 2011 at 4:19 pm

John F Kennedy said: “Success has may fathers but failure is an orphan.” or in this case – a single parent in the form of an upperclassman.

Editorials are generalizations about what is observed. I have two Juniors attending WEHS who both have commented that they have observed this type of behavior. Though I agree that generalizations are a dangerous form of observational writing, I do not believe the author was being malicious.

To President Kennedy’s point – if this article was boasting how kind the Senior class is behaving towards the incoming Freshman class, I would wager to say that the entire class would take credit to that end and nobody would post the contrary here. Since this article is alluding to the opposite – i.e. the failure of a select few, that credit is wanted by no one.

Reply
  • T

TiffanySep 30, 2011 at 10:19 pm

That’s sort’ve not fair to say all seniors are calling all freshmen stupid. That’s grouping them together and not all freshmen are innocent and let’s not forget there are juniors and sophomores who do the same thing.

Reply
    • A

adviserOct 3, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Thank you for your comments. We do love feedback. This is an editorial. It is the writer’s opinion. I will share your views with her. Have a great day!

Reply
  • A

audrey lewisSep 28, 2011 at 12:26 pm

this article is very unprofessional. it’s not “fair” for this author to lump all the class of 2012 into her rant. it’s really not cool to put ALL seniors on blast like this in print. authors should really be more impartial when putting “writing” out to the public for all to see.

Reply