The mission of the Wylie East High School news site is to inform, educate and entertain readers. Established Jan. 13, 2011. Principal: Mrs. Tiffany Doolan; Adviser: Ms. Kimberly Creel

Breaking News

American involvement in Libya

American involvement in Libya

The President of the United States, the “honorable” Barrack Obama, has defended the first war launched under his presidency, insisting upon the U.S. involvement in Libya. This war is claimed it was for the well being of the nation. Obama claims that the U.S. won’t be utterly consumed by trying to oust the Libyan leader, Colonel Gaddafi. Unfortunately, Libya is presently under a reign of terror led by the infamous Colonel Gaddafi. According to the “honorable” President Obama, the participation in the coalition has saved “countless lives,” but overthrowing Colonel Muammar Gaddafi with forceful tactics would be a dreadful mistake. Delegates from multiple countries are gathering in London for a conference regarding the future of Libya and its people.           

This so called priority of a war is misleading and severely unnecessary based on our own circumstances. The U.S. is already in a vast amount of debt, but the just oh so “honorable” president insists upon American involvement in this blood campaign. The U.S. is already presently involved in a war in Iraq; troops are still stationed in Iran and Afghanistan. Why aren’t our troops being brought home? President Obama is insisting on maintaining U.S. involvement in the Middle East, instead of dealing with the present issues the American people need action for now. The man holding presidential power is causing a larger economic downfall than before, the government even considered shutting down, but people are doing nothing. Husbands and wives are missing their children grow up, but for what? For the glory of America, no, these men and women are being deprived of their families for a power driven rant of a failing president.

Obama gave multiple speeches regarding the matter, but one in particular stuck out. In his voluminous speech regarding the standing of Libya, President Obama is obviously more concerned with policing the world rather than America itself. In multiple press conferences regarding Libya, President Obama ignored multiple pressing questions and simply answered them vaguely to get through the moment. These are a few of the questions he simply slid aside:      

1.“How far is the coalition acting as the rebel air force?”
2. “It may not be targeting the top man, but is it intent on destroying his military force?”
3. “How thin is the line between driving off an army that may attack civilians and destroying that army in case they do?”

If our president is pushing the more climatically pressing questions aside, what else is being avoided or not done that the people are not aware of? The man has only been in office for about two years now and already he’s causing America to severely plummet economically and decreasing our population with this ridiculous war effort. Thanks to the unprecedented sacrifices in Iraq of our troops and the determination of our diplomats, we are sanguine about Iraq’s future.  It took eight years for regime changes in Iraq, thousands of American and Iraqi lives stolen by violence, and nearly a trillion dollars was spent in order to establish change. Unfortunately, America cannot under any circumstances afford to repeat that kind of severe action in Libya.

Although Obama wants to help the world out of repression and has chosen to start with Libya, the cost is simply too high. He said himself that “It is true that America cannot use our military wherever repression occurs. And given the costs and risks of intervention, we must always measure our interests against the need for action. But that cannot be an argument for never acting on behalf of what’s right.” So basically, sometimes you do, sometimes you don’t, either way America won’t help unless the country has a high stature or something to offer.

The only solution to this unfortunate issue is simply to get a politically as well as militarily educated president that is concerned with the actions and conflicts in America. The goal of Americans should be to get a quality leader that is for the people instead of for policing the world of repression and indiscretions. In order to avoid greater debt and warfare, America should do away with this potentially problematic president. Simple as that;

A president’s job is to help his country gain control over itself economically and socially, it is not a president’s job to spend the well earned dollars of his country’s patrons to police  the world’s troubled countries. The only action that can truly be called for without added unnecessary violence is to wait for the next presidential elections and select a worthy warm blooded American as president with the values and morals we all cherish. Sweet and simple.