The mission of the Wylie East High School news site is to inform, educate and entertain readers. Established Jan. 13, 2011. Principal: Mrs. Tiffany Doolan; Adviser: Ms. Kimberly Creel

Growing up, getting privileges

Growing up, getting privileges

Freshman, sophomore, juniors, seniors, going through high school you have worked hard and have earned the privileges.  If we have proved that we deserve them, when are we going to start getting them?

Juniors have the privilege of having an hour lunch, where they can get food during their east and lunch times.  As a junior we have earned the right of being able to have an hour lunch.  Fourth and fifth period east begins and the juniors have an option, they can go to the cafeteria or go tutorials.  So when they go to the cafeteria they can get their lunch and do not have to wait in the crowded lines, deal with the cutting, and immature behaviors of others.  They are able to go and just have to deal with the class of juniors in their lunch.   It cuts line times down and even then you still have time to go to your tutorials that you are needed to go to.

In sixth lunch we begin with lunch and we only have the normal 30 minutes to wait in line and eat lunch.  This is causing back-ups in lines and some people not even being able to finish eating.  Juniors have been given the right to have an hour lunch, so why does sixth period lunch not have it?  By the time people wait in line, some do not even have the chance to eat.  The microwaves have also caused back-ups in lunch, because sixth lunch does not have the option to use the microwaves during east time.

Its understandable that east time during 6th period, the kitchen staff needs to begin cleaning the kitchen and putting away food, but why are these juniors having the privileges they have earned taken away for no apparent reason?  Switching east and lunch would solve the problem of the juniors in 6th period not having the hour lunch.  That way the cafeteria staff would be able to shut the gates at the same time they normally do, and be able to begin the work they needed to do.  As well as making the juniors happy and giving them the privileges they deserve.

As we go through high school we gain more work and gain more privileges.  6th period juniors deserve the same privileges as the rest of the juniors at school.

View Comments (1)
Ashley Braun
Ashley Braun, Opinion Editor
Hey guys the name is Ashley! I am a senior here at Wylie East and this is my second year on the newspaper staff. I am the opinions editor; this means I oversee everything in the opinions section.  I speak my mind and am always open about what I think.  Writing and photography are my passions.  I am 17, love animals and my favorite color is purple. I have an obsession with Facebook and I’m constantly updating my page. Well, thanks for taking time out of your day to read a little about me.  Have a great day!

Comments (1)

All Blue Print Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• T

TiffanyJan 27, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I still don’t get why they didn’t give us the same privileges. What’s the point of 6th period lunch having East after lunch? All well, there might be a plausible reason, but my stomach doesn’t agree.

Reply