Step up

New team makes its debut at pep rally

East Side Steppers// Dancing to the music, the step team makes its debut at the camo day pep rally Oct. 14.  Everyone who is interested in dance or making rhythm is encouraged to join. Visit with Mrs. Hollie Smith in room 318 for more information.

East Side Steppers// Dancing to the music, the step team makes its debut at the camo day pep rally Oct. 14. Everyone who is interested in dance or making rhythm is encouraged to join. Visit with Mrs. Hollie Smith in room 318 for more information.

photo credit: Katie Borchetta

photo credit: Katie Borchetta

Jazmine Garcia, Social Media Editor

The Step team had its first performance at the pep rally Oct. 6. Team members introduced themselves one by one with background music blasting.  After introductions, each member took off her mask to reveal her identity, before continuing to perform this  form of dance that originated in Africa. It uses the human body to create sounds and rhythms.

“I enjoy dancing and I learned fast growing up. I wanted to make it at East because it was something that I was always passionate about. I knew it would be something good to have here and bring more spirit to  the school,” senior Elizabeth Thomas said.

The Step team has been a work in progress since Spring of last year and is now an official dance club open to anyone.  Now Captain, Thomas wanted to start the club when she noticed the lack of spirit at school. Thomas was on a step team before she moved to Texas from New York and is an experienced step dancer.

“I started making posters and  promoting it, making team meetings, fundraising, stuff like that,” Thomas said.

When preparing for the pep rally, the team worked on their choreography everyday during lunches and after school. 

The East Side Steppers will perform at the homecoming pep rally Oct. 26. Everyone is encouraged to join. Visit Ms. Hollie Smith in room 318 for more information.

“It’s open to all. Doesn’t matter your race, grade or gender. We’re welcoming to anyone who’s interested. I think anyone could really enjoy it,” Thomas said.

About the Writer
Jazmine Garcia, Social Media Editor

Hi! My name is Jazmine but if we’re close you probably don’t call me by my actual name, which is fine. I answer to jazmeyane, jazzy, jaz and occasionally Jazz band. If you think you don’t know me, you do. That strange girl walking around with Converse and the mismatching shoe laces? Yup that’s me. I’m very clumsy and awkward so sorry to all the people I’ve run into in the hallway (that includes the trash can.) or who have been forced to be in my presence (you know who you are.) I’m in band which takes up most of my time. Who needs sleep anyway? Actually I do, you don’t want to meet a sleepless Jazmine. Not fun. Anyway marching band isn’t really something clumsy people should do but so far I’ve managed to fool everyone. (Don’t tell the band directors.) I play the euphonium or you could say baritone, whatever floats your boat. I love to read, and by love I mean I’m obsessed with reading. Jane Austen is, and will always be, the best author out there. Don’t ask me about my reading material unless you feel like losing 20 minutes of your time. I’m the oldest out of four and I love my dogs, for some reason they’re always happy to see me. If I were rich, I would go to New York and see something on broadway. Randomness runs through me, also sentences that don’t make sense. Like every other student in this school I’m stressed out all the time but I’ve gotten pretty good at telling myself “It’s all good, everything’s fine.” Most days I wish I had a blue police box that could time travel just so I can take a nap and maybe go to 1817 Russia. I don’t know how to end this and I probably came across as weird but have a good day and God bless you.