In addition to…

East adds new flavor to the bunch

Ashley Survillion, Assistant Editor

Every school year new teachers are introduced to the halls. Here’s your chance to get to know Mrs. Amie Torres and Coach Hunter Henzler. Torres teaches forensics in room 854 and she also leads forensic-based teams in SKILLS USA. Henzler coaches varsity football and teaches math college prep in room 832. These two new teachers open up about their lives before they headed to the East side.

Number Genius: Hunter Henzler

photo credit: Ashley Survillion
In the Limits // Plugging in numbers, new varsity coach and teacher from Daingerfield-Lone Star ISD, Coach Hunter Henzler instructs his math college prep class during his second week, about the number 1 billion.

What school District did you come from?

I previously taught at Daingerfield High School, it is a small 3A school about 15 minutes Southeast of Mount Pleasant.

How long have you been teaching?

This my sixth year teaching.

What was the most exciting thing you’ve experienced so far this year?

I really enjoyed the beginning of year teacher’s convocation. It was fun seeing all the energy from the entire school district packed in to the convention center.

Who inspired you to teach?

I had multiple coaches and teachers that I saw model being a strong father figure and I was impacted by them. Pat Dixon (now retired), Michael Brooks and Gaylon Selman are the main ones that come to mind, and I stay in contact with them to this day.

What is your goal by the end of the year?

I hope to make a positive impact in my students’ lives.

Question of the week: Would you rather be really hairy or completely bald?

That’s a tough one! I feel like I’d rather be really hairy, because I could always trim it up, but if you’re bald then you only have one hairstyle option!

Crime Solver: Amie Torres

photo credit: Ashley Survillion
Support in all the right places // Showing some love, new teacher from Garland ISD, Mrs. Amie Torres high fives senior Quincy Jackson during a lesson about the observations in forensics.

What school District did you come from?

I came from Garland ISD.

How long have you been teaching?

This is my 10th year teaching.

The most exciting experience was the first day of school. I didn’t sleep the night before because I was so excited. New school, new routine, new faces… what’s not to love?!?

Who inspired you to teach?

The husband and wife duo, Dr. Douglas Gaffin and Dr. Mariëlle Hoefnagels, at The University of Oklahoma were my inspiration to teach. Their passion for science and making learning fun has been the foundation for the way I teach

At the end of the year, my goal is to help build the interest of Forensic Science and Skills USA program as well as bring AP environmental science to school.

I would rather be bald and rock an awesome wig than be hairy. Ha!

Would you rather be really hairy or bald?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Ashley Survillion, Assistant Editor
Whimsical, quiet and observant. I’m not sure those three words describe me entirely, considering the fact that almost every weird word in the Webster dictionary relates to me, but here you are, reading a short snippet of my life as Ashley Survillion. It normally consists of writing, food and more writing with maybe a sprinkle...