Library presents Teen Read Week

Poe show // English IV teacher, Sharyn Vernon dresses up as Edger Allen Poe during Teen Read week.

Eden Stegall, Staff Reporter

Readers of all kinds, even ones who rarely read at all, are welcomed to the reading extravaganza this week known as Teen Read Week. Superheroes have stories too, leading to the strong point of this week’s theme, Unleash Your Story.

“Teen read is all about giving all students the chance to find their perfect book, and we have these different activities every day to attract more students to the library,” librarian Vicki Townsend said.

The following activities are just some of what students could interact with each day this week.

To kick off Teen Read Week,  is “A Picture of a Thousand Words” photo contest. Students are encouraged to take a picture of someone reading and share it with the library staff to win a prize.

Teachers are asked to dress as their favorite book character on Tuesday to prompt discussions about reading with their students.

In the middle of the week, the daily interaction for Wednesday is “Book Bingo.”  Students should visit the library to play this classic game during both lunches for special prizes.

A book has been shredded and placed in a clear container. Students are asked to read lines on the strips of paper to try and guess which book it is.

Friday’s activity requires just popping into the library for a good book. Even if students leave without a book in hand, they are able to grab a free bag of popcorn.

“We are personally here to guide students in the direction to finding the right book, and make their reading experience better,” Mrs. Townsend said.

Teen Read Week gives the chance to explore the reader on the inside, as well as engage in other book related interactions throughout each day.

About the Writer
Eden Stegall, Staff Reporter

Well, as it says above, my name is Eden.  I am a fairly large introvert, who is more weird but not completely insane when I’m with my friends. I make various smart and sarcastic comments when I am with close friends. I speak French, but not fluently. I love to make people smile,  I have a very humorous personality, and can be a person to vent to if needed. I would like to be a photographer or a writer, or both when going into adulthood after college.  I’m very awkward, I don’t like spicy food and I love to eat. I do sometimes cook as a side hobby. My favorite food is Italian food, and my favorite dessert is cake. Other than that, I let people who want to meet me find out what they find interesting about me, cause I don’t find myself all that interesting.