Green light

More stories from Frank Roach

Students team up to create solar car

Wrapping+up+%2F%2F+Solar+car+captain+Rodrigo+Garcia+and+team+member+Jaxon+Hill+work+together+to+get+the+solar++car+taped+up+Sept.+21+for+the+homecoming+parade+and+for+future+solar+car+club+sponsors+to+see.+
Wrapping up // Solar car captain Rodrigo Garcia and team member Jaxon Hill work together to get the solar  car taped up Sept. 21 for the homecoming parade and for future solar car club sponsors to see.

Wrapping up // Solar car captain Rodrigo Garcia and team member Jaxon Hill work together to get the solar car taped up Sept. 21 for the homecoming parade and for future solar car club sponsors to see.

photo credit: Jamie Tourtillott

photo credit: Jamie Tourtillott

The smell of rubber is in the air. The driver jerks the steering wheel to make a tight turn.

The car is speeding up.

20. 30. 40.

The team smiles; they’ve still got it. The steel frame doesn’t have time to bake in the summer heat at these speeds. Over four years of hard work and dedication from dozens of students has made this possible.

The kicker?

It’s all powered by the sun.

Mr. Tony Roseberry’s students are currently working on a piece of the future; a solar car.

The car runs on an LG solar panel which fuels six batteries, in turn running the metal cage.

Using solar cells which concentrate UV energy from your favorite yellow fireball, the car is able to reach speeds of up to 40 miles per hour.   

“I like the Solar Car club because it involves lots of mechanics and I enjoy that,” senior Jamie Tourtillott said.

The club is still on the lookout for members, but is not for the faint of heart.

“I would only join it if you are really into mechanics. We also need girls. I’m the only one,” said Tourtillott.

If you are looking for a club to join, look no further than room 420.

About the Contributors
Frank Roach, Staff Reporter
Vertical videos should be illegal. Hi, I’m Frank, and according to my parents I spend way too much of my time in an office chair. I spend a majority of my time watching the food network even though I have zero idea how to cook. I am the proud owner of a pug (Her name...
Jamie Tourtillott, Photo Editor
Hey this is Jamie Tourtillott and welcome to my crib. I am a senior here at East and let me just give you a little tour of my four years here. Since my freshman year I was involved in the journalism program here. With that my first year in yearbook, I won my first ILPC...