Home is where the heart is

OG Raider starts her first year of teaching

Back to Article
Back to Article

Home is where the heart is

Now and then // Pushing the limits, Coach Amos encourages her freshman volleyball team during a timeout at the Frisco game Aug. 29.

photo credit: Lauren Vasquez

photo credit: Lauren Vasquez

photo credit: Lauren Vasquez

Ashley Survillion, Advertising Editor

Former Raider Erica Amos is a new teacher this year. She was in the first class to grace the halls of East. Take a deep look into her life as a freshman in the beginning of the Raider legacy.

How did you perceive high school when you first started?

I don’t quite remember my initial thoughts about high school, but I know I was excited for a new adventure.

What clubs were you involved in as a freshman?

Because I made varsity volleyball and track, I was bused over to Wylie High School every afternoon. I’m pretty sure I wasn’t involved in any clubs at Wylie East because of that.

In 2008, freshmen were the only class that year. What influenced you to come back and teach?

Along with having a passion for serving others, I believe teaching is my calling in this life. As a high school teacher, I could be the last positive impact on a student’s life before entering the real world. Each and every day, I strive to inspire my students to be the best versions of themselves. As Kid President would say “You were made to be awesome!” I wholeheartedly believe that. Everyone has something to offer in this world and it’s my job to help them find that. Additionally, my job is to learn from my students. They have so much to teach me too.

What did you want to be when you grew up during your freshman year?

I’m pretty sure I wanted to be a teacher.  I started as an Electrical Engineering student at Baylor, but soon realized I had no interest in what my professors and classmates were talking about.  I should have gone with my heart to begin with.

What was one thing you really enjoyed about East?

My favorite thing about East was the teachers.  I had Mrs. Cheng, Mrs. Arp, and Ms. Taylor my freshman year.  Their passion for teaching and loving students made a huge impact on my life.

What is some advice you would give to current Raiders who want to become teachers at the school?

Your reputation in high school and relationships with teachers, administrators, community members, etc. really do matter. Make a positive impact in others’ lives and work as hard as you can.  Be the best you. This not only sets you up well for college, but also the real world

#RFL // Erica Amos used to sit behind the desk, now she is at the head of the class.