Same player; new position

The varsity team moves players around for stronger defense, offense

Back to Article
Back to Article

Same player; new position

Speed into it \\ Senior Quarterback Eno Benjamin practices after school with the varsity team Sept. 7 before the game against Denton Ryan.

photo credit: Jamie Tourtillot

photo credit: Jamie Tourtillot

photo credit: Jamie Tourtillot

While the 2016-2017 season is running, former running back senior Eno Benjamin takes on two new positions: varsity quarterback and the place kicker. All three years leading up to this one, Benjamin has always been one of the number one running backs for the varsity team. Since former quarterback Braden Shewmake graduated, Benjamin has stepped up to fulfil this role.

“I don’t think it really affected the team because we have players that can step up and be the new running back,” Benjamin said.

From the coaches’ perspectives the change in Benjamin’s role has not had a negative effect on the team. If anything, it has had a positive effect and has caused the team to get better.

“We have an amazing defense and one of the best running backs in the country,” wide receiver Coach Gary Porter said.

Benjamin was not the only player affected by a change in positions. Senior Corbin Avance went from a fullback to a linebacker, senior Kendrick Davis went from a cornerback to linebacker, and Corey Eggins is now a outside linebacker and fullback. With these new positions, the players feel that the team is doing well.

We have an amazing defense and one of the best running backs in the country.”

— Coach Gary Porter, wide receiver

“I feel like we are doing good, however we could be doing better. With the loss of so many players we are spread out thin,” senior offensive lineman Chris Clore said.

The varsity football team is number four out of eight in our district. The team is currently behind Highland Park, first; Poteet, second; and West Mesquite, third.

“Our team stands out against other districts because we fight until the very end. Even if we are losing, we fight to win,” Clore said.

The varsity team has two more games left until the end of district. The game this week determines if the team gets into the playoffs or not. The last game is against Highland Park. It will be a home game and will also be senior night. Kickoff is at 7:30.

Jamie Tourtillot, Photo Editor

Hey this is Jamie Tourtillott and welcome to my crib. I am a senior here at East and let me just give you a little tour of my four years here. Since my...