Voice of the next generation

April 14, 2015

photo credit: Courtesy Photo

Officially in the run \\ 2014 graduate Brooke Lopez is running for Wylie City Council.

Recent graduate runs in Wylie City Council election May 9

This story was selected for Best of SNO

Only a year since graduating high school, Brooke Lopez has taken on a multitude of new responsibilities at the University of Texas at Dallas reflecting her former busy high school career. But now only a freshman in college, Lopez will don her name on the ballot for Place 4 during the Wylie City Council election May 9.

The inspiration for Lopez’s campaign occurred the summer of her junior year in high school when she learned about the trouble Lake Lavon was facing.

“I was extremely displeased with the information that Lavon Lake had dwindled 11 feet below average height and nothing was being done to fix it,” Lopez said. “I also was unhappy with the amount of unsustainable growth we as a city have been incurring without consideration to the valuable land and water we are destroying.”

Lopez is running her campaign on three main platforms involving the environment, ever changing growth of Wylie and voter participation.

Age doesn’t guarantee a stronger politician. My age doesn’t determine the service I hope to bring to my community whether or not I am elected. I have received demeaning responses for throwing my name in the hat as they say. The only way to look past these negative outbursts is to face them head on with a determined smile and a solution to every issue they propose.

— Brooke Lopez

“My first contention will consist of implementing preservative water initiatives that will provide resolution to the thinly spread Lavon Lake,” Lopez said. “Instilling these water initiatives will begin with support of the North Texas Municipal Water District Water Shed Protection Act and continue with overall equality among water restrictions for the area. My second contention will propose Blackland prairie restoration to city-owned property in order to relieve the overpopulation and crowding of individuals and housing. Blackland Prairie is an endangered eco-region specialized to Texas and full of harvestable soil. Restoring the prairie will slow the exponential growth of the area that strains both physical and environmental aspects of Wylie. My final contention will propose an annual voter registration drive in order to increase our lacking voter participation in the city.”

During her high school career, Lopez participated in activities that contributed to her current career in politics such as UIL Extemporaneous Speaking, Interact Club, Leo Club, Student Council, Business Professionals of America, varsity soccer, Raiders for Christ, National Honor Society, Spanish Honor Society, National Society of High School Scholars, American Poetry Society and the MOWW Youth Leadership Conferences.

“Brooke is a very hard worker,” Lopez’s UIL advisor Jessica Taylor said. “She is very intrinsically motivated, and likes to be the best at everything she does.  She has tenacity, and sticks to a task until it is complete. Her future aspirations include public service, and win or lose, this is great opportunity for her to learn more about the political process. I think that her dedication and open-mindedness will be an asset. She is young and sees things from a different point of view than the other adults on the council.”

Lopez’s main cause for kick starting her career in politics was after her close friend Nahum Martinez, only 15 years old, was shot and killed by two high school peers who were convicted of murder as minors. An anger sparked in Lopez and pushed her into politics when she began to write Nahum’s Law.

“It states that a person charged as a minor with a felony involving a fire arm loses the privilege to have his or her record expunged,” Lopez said. “The bill is planned for proposal in 2015.”

Since enrolling into the University of Texas at Dallas, Lopez has played a role in the student government, diversity committee and Running Start.

“These courses and organizations have shown me how to work over a larger group of citizens as opposed to a high school,” Lopez said. “I now work with the UTD Student Government who regularly must relay the opinion of 22,000 plus students. In terms of my campaign, these extracurricular functions have given me support for my campaign and allowed me to strengthen my network.”

Lopez has already faced some adversity when it comes to her campaign due to her young age. However, she does not let the negativity affect her attitude.

“Age doesn’t guarantee a stronger politician,” Lopez said. “My age doesn’t determine the service I hope to bring to my community whether or not I am elected. I have received demeaning responses for throwing my name in the hat as they say. The only way to look past these negative outbursts is to face them head on with a determined smile and a solution to every issue they propose.”

For more information on Lopez’s campaign, visit http://democracy.com/electBrookeLopez/default.aspx.