Just dance

photo credit: Emily Koonce
Take a selfie \\ Saber Team Commander Nick Mavis steals a selfie and a crown for a photo op with sophomore princess Ashley Henagin.

Emily Koonce, Contributor

JROTC cadets wrap up 2014 with annual military ball

Music blares from the front of the banquet hall, inviting guests to join in the festivities. With multi-colored lights illuminating their faces, the mood reflected the carefree tone of the evening.

Held on the night of Dec. 13 at a nearby Holiday Inn, Military Ball was a time for members of JROTC and their guests to let loose and have fun. Upon entering the reception hall, each attendee was individually greeted by a line of high-ranking officers. They were then swept away to the dining area while they waited for the dancing to begin.

“It was all very energizing, and it was hard not to have a great time while dancing,” said sophomore Orian Johnson.

With the ice being broken by a small group of boys, a crowd began swarming the dance floor.  When in need of a break, guests went to the back of the hall and were able to relax or chat. Throughout the night, the front area was brimming with suspense when Col. Wilbanks called out numbers for the raffle.

The dancing, the music and the prizes were just a fraction of the fun,” senior cadet, but the best part was that even when you’re outside of school, you’re still one big family.”

— Kelsie Mathis, senior

JROTC members were given a free ticket upon entry, and all eyes were glued to their own as they awaited the desirable sound of their number being announced. Among the 22 prizes given was a 42” flat screen television, won by senior Miles McDowell.

McDowell commented that he was “shocked that [he’d] won, but [he] was definitely happy. It was a really nice surprise.”

The night concluded with the coronation of the JROTC royalty. Freshmen royalty, Ashlyn Stewart and Jacob Deer stood side by side with sophomore Prince and Princess, Austin Byboth and Ashley Henagin. Junior Prince and Princess were Bryan Home-Chon-Win and Elisabeth Teitelman, and Zach Heuer and Alline Snow reigned as King and Queen.

“The dancing, the music and the prizes were just a fraction of the fun,” senior cadet Kelsie Mathis said. “But the best part was that even when you’re outside of school, you’re still one big family.”