Path to royalty

Senior homecoming nominees Regina Moslener and Garrett McCain enjoy a stroll through Downtown Wylie in a convertable during the homecoming parade Monday, Oct. 7 at 6:30.

The process to being Raider royalty takes a lot of work

The thirty minute half-time show is only the culmination of a student’s long path to becoming Raider royalty.

There was approximately a 30 percent turnout for class officer and homecoming nominee voting.  “All students were eligible to vote one time upon showing their school ID,” Student Council Sponsor Angela Arp said.

Student Council is in charge of the voting and making sure all votes are placed correctly. “Student Council members have the same right to vote as every other WEHS student and are held to the same standards (showing ID, voting times, etc.) as their peers,” Arp said.

Teachers are not allowed to vote for homecoming nominees.  Royalty is selected by their peers only.

“The winners will be announced during halftime of the Homecoming game on Friday, Oct. 11,” Arp said.

Excluding the seniors, all nominees are paired together and will escort each other onto the field during the game Friday, Oct 11.  The senior nominees are escorted by their parents or a guardian.

“Outfits worn during the coronation ceremony must have prior approval by administration,” Arp said.

Being nominated for homecoming can be a huge deal to some people.

“I couldn’t wait to tell my mom so she could take me shopping,” sophomore nominee Aubrey White said.

Senior queen and king nominees get to ride in convertibles in the parade Monday, Oct. 7 at 6:30 p.m.

“The convertibles are loaned to us with the coordination of efforts from Credit Union of Texas.  Dealerships this year who have loaned us cars are Park Place Lexus, Crest Infiniti, Rockwall Ford and Huffines Chevrolet. The underclassmen nominees ride together, by class, in Ford trucks on loan to us from Bob and Bill Utter Ford,” Arp said.

On Wednesday of homecoming week, all nominees and Student Council officers go to Wylie ISD stadium for a field rehearsal.

“We walk through the entire halftime coronation ceremony, so they know exactly what to do, where to stand, when to walk on/off,” Arp said.

Following the rehearsal, the Student Council treats them to lunch at Dickey’s.

“This allows them an opportunity to spend time together as a court,” Arp said.

The nominees selected for prince and princess are freshmen Corey Eggins, Ron Smith, Blake Tucker, Cynthia Arbollo, Lauren Garcia, and Addie McCain.

Representing the sophomore class nominees for prince and princess are Troy Bradley, Aubrey White, Jared Wyatt, Andrea Coca, Peyton May, and Tara O’Neill.

Junior nominees for prince and princess are Matt Anderson, Andrew Ortiz, Tanner Smithson, Kenzie Geisert, Sarah Ponce, and Rebekah Porter.

“I am so glad to be nominated, but I really hope I am nominated senior year. That would mean so much,” junior nominee Tanner Smithson said.

Representing the Senior Class of 2014 are king and queen nominees Gabe Hernandez, Danny Kown, Garrett McCain, Brandon Wiltcher, Audrey Jones, Keana Mack, Regina Moslener, and Caitlin Walker.