STUCO earns awards

STUCO earns awards

Through their commitment to making a difference in the school and the community, Student Council has earned several awards this school year.

This year STUCO has won Outstanding Student Council Award, Outstanding Pride and Patriotism Award, Outstanding Drugs, Alcohol, Safety, and Health Award and Outstanding Community Service Award.

“As an organization, they planned, organized and implemented more than 80 different projects this year,” Principal Mike Williams said. “They raised and donated over $2000 cash to local community service projects, contributed over 125 hours in community service and contributed over 3200 items in donated goods.”

Projects such as the talent show, Red Ribbon Week and Pink out for Sophie May earned them the points that add up to win the awards presented by The Texas Association of Student Council, TASC.

“It is not a nomination process, it works off of points,” STUCO sponsor Angela Arp. “If a council plans, organizes and implements a given number of projects in a one year time period and proper documentation is provided, the awards are earned.”

This is the first time STUCO has been presented these awards by the TASC.

“Although STUCO is a lot of work, I love the payoff after all the hard work we put in to complete different projects,” STUCO Vice president Marcus Robinson said.

With all the time put in by the members of Student Council, they bond as a family.

“We’re the organization that has the opportunity to create traditions and memories for our high school,” STUCO member Kendall Tilton said.

Brooke Vincent