You CAN make a difference

Canned food drive at the Football Game

Cheerleaders getting the fans on their feet, loud announcers replaying every drive, air horns going off with every touchdown, and shouting echoing through the Wylie Stadium. Sounds like every other football game, but this one is quite different. Not only is it the infamous rivalry of Wylie High and Wylie East, but something pretty big is happening off the field too.

On the night of Oct. 5, as the two teams battle for the end zone, a much different battle will take place at the gates: the fight against hunger.

All fans are encouraged to bring canned food items to the game on the nights of Oct. 4 and 5. Collection bins will be placed throughout Wylie Stadium during the JV and Varsity games Thursday and Friday night.

Marcia Coker, Coordinator of Community Relations, has an astounding prediction for the amount of cans that could be donated to Wylie Christian Care Center.

“If everyone attending the games on Thursday and Friday at Wylie Stadium brings one food item, WISD has a potential of collecting more than 8,000 items,” Coker said.

Aside from supplying school spirit, bringing one canned food item could help hundreds of local families.

“The canned goods are going to families who don’t have enough money or resources to have an extravagant Thanksgiving” Student Council President Kaleena Pickett said.

“Unified for Excellence” is more than a campaign to unite Wylie East and Wylie High for a night of football.

“Wylie ISD is choosing to unify through reaching out to those in need by hosting the special food drive,” Coker said.

The Wylie Way emphasizes the significance of character and ethics in students of the Wylie Independent School District. Coming together for charity is a way for the two schools to demonstrate the Wylie Way to the community.

“Other than tuna, peanut butter, jelly and cereal, the care center is in special need of canned meats,” Coker said.

Ultimately, Wylie East High School hopes to see fans cheering for their team and the Wylie Christian Care Center hopes to see cans overflowing the bins.